When the sun is shining, and you’re lucky enough to have your own backyard, spending the day or just the evening out there can be a great way to hang out with your kids or entertain guests, or even just have some much-needed ‘me-time’ relaxing in the sun.
However, this is not so easy if your backyard is calling for some much-needed TLC. There are tonnes of ways to make your backyard more fun regardless of budget and space!
Whether you’re up for a big DIY job to totally transform the space or you’re just looking for cheap and simple ways to add some color and creativity, we’ve got you covered. From butterfly gardens, to fire rings, boujee sheds and full-size swimming pools the possibilities are endless!
How do I make my yard kid friendly?
The first thing you need to do is check for any hazards that may be dangerous for kids. These may include, sharp objects on the lawn or animal feces. If you have a pool make sure it’s fenced and/or alarmed.
Check your yard is secure, so the little ones can’t escape and remove any poisonous plants that may hard children.
Once your yard is kid safe, you want to make it kid friendly. There’s nothing more boring t=to a kid that a rubbish backyard. There are plenty of ways to maximize your yard for kids, no matter how big or small it is.
Here are a few ideas for making your yard kid friendly:
- Add a play area - this can be as simple as setting up an outdoor chalkboard with chalks for your kids to draw and get creative. Alternatively, you could take it one step further and install a climbing frame or swing set to make your backyard a kid’s dream
- Attract cool insects and animals - this is a great way to get your kids involved in gardening while making it fun. An easy way to achieve this is by adding a small water feature like a fountain to attract birds - add a bird feeder for guaranteed nature friends! This will create excitement for your kids all year round. You could also plant certain plants and flowers such as sunflowers that attract things like butterflies and make your yard look beautiful.
- Games equipment - something as simple as adding a basketball hoop or soccer net can make your yard more inviting for children
- Trampoline - a kid favorite, a trampoline will keep kids (and adults) entertained for hours, you could even place the trampoline near a basketball hoop or swimming pool if you have one for the kids to use for a slam dunk or to dive into the pool
How do you make an entertaining backyard?
Here’s a few ways to transform your backyard into a fun and inviting place to be for both kids and adults:
- Sunken seating area - if you’ve got the space, creating a funky sunken seating area will create a super cool den for chatting or playing games in your yard with family and friends
- Comfy seating - something as simple as adding a few comfy chairs and maybe a hammock or two will make your backyard way more fun to be in. Relax in the sun or sit around with friends
- Add a pool - this will depend on the space you have to work with and how much money you are willing to spend on the project but adding in a swimming pool to your backyard is the perfect way to make it more entertaining. You will be able to invite family and friends over for pool parties or just to relax on a hot day. Plus, it’s a great way to keep your kids entertained during summer vacation
- A BBQ area - having a dedicated area for entertaining guests is a great way to spruce up your backyard. Creating a nice decked area with a place for a BBQ and maybe even a mini fridge to keep drinks cold is a great way to do it
- Outdoor Kitchen - why not go with a full blown out door kitchen. Add a Sink, fridge, built-in burners, and warming trays.
What can I build in my backyard?
Depending on the size of your backyard and local building regulations, the possibilities of what you can build in your backyard are endless!
Whether you’re looking for a simple one-day DIY project or you’re thinking of bringing someone in to make your backyard dreams come true, we’ve got plenty of ideas to sink your teeth into.
Here’s some of our favorite building ideas to upgrade your backyard:
- A fire ring - these are super easy to build and are great for when the temperature drops in the evenings. Sit around with friends or make s’mores with your kids. All you need to do is pick a flat space in your yard away from anything flammable. Then, measure out how big you want the ring to be and dig two inches down and layer stones or bricks to create a circle pit - it can be as big and as high as you like so get building!
- A shed - a great way to keep your backyard organized and store away any outdoor electrical equipment like lawnmowers or weather-sensitive items. Plus, a well-built, nicely decorated shed can make your yard look more ‘boujee’.
- Planters - these are particularly great way to add color and life to your backyard if you don’t have the space to plant in the ground. You can still have beautiful plants in your garden with planters. Plus, they’re easy to make. You can use a number of materials, and they can be pretty much any shape and size to fit in your yard.
- Decking and/or gazebo area - perfect for entertaining family and friends, having a dedicated BBQ area in your garden will make your backyard the party backyard of the summer! This can be as simple as building a decked area to house your BBQ and seating area, or you could lay slabs or set down a concrete base and build and wooden gazebo to make it weather-proof.